Custom fields allow an administrator to create spaces for additional information to be entered into a user’s profile. By default, the system requires a first name, last name, and an email address. However, many organizations want to track things like employee ID, phone number, address, or other pieces of information. The Custom Fields tool lets administrators decide which information they want to have on file for their students inside the LMS.
How to Create a Custom Field
1. Click Users on the sidebar and click Manage Custom Fields.
2. Click +Create in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
3. This opens the Create a User Field page. Begin by entering the name of the field.
4. Next, select the type of response that field will accept. There are five options:
5. Finally, there are two checkboxes. Selecting Required? will make this field mandatory to fill in for a user to be created. Selecting Admin Only? will hide this field from all users unless they are an administrator in the organization.
6. When you are finished, click Save.
7. The new field will now appear when you edit a user’s profile information from the Manage Users page.