Course discussions are accessible to all the students enrolled in any given course, which makes it excellent for discussing different topics related to the course.
How to Enable and Disable Course Discussion Boards
You can enable and disable course discussion boards in two different ways: globally (to all courses at once), or on a per-course basis.
1. To enable or disable course discussion boards globally, start by navigating to the Features page under the Settings tab on the sidebar.
2. On the Features page, find the toggle titled Enabling Course Discussion Boards.
3. Clicking the toggle so it turns gray and displays Off disables all course discussion boards. Clicking the toggle so it turns green and displays On enables course discussion boards.
Changes on this page are automatically saved.
4. To enable or disable the course discussion feature in a specific course, first navigate to your course list by clicking Courses, then My Courses from the sidebar.
5. Open the dropdown menu next to the course you want to edit and click Course Settings.
6. Near the bottom of the page, there is a toggle for enabling the discussion board. Clicking this toggle so it turns gray and displays Off disables the discussion board for this course. When the toggle is green and displays On, the discussion board for this course is enabled.
7. Click Save to save any changes that were made.
How to Create a New Discussion in a Course Discussion Board
1. To open the discussion board for a course, click My Courses from the sidebar.
2. Then open the dropdown menu beside the course you want to enter and click Discussion Board. This course's discussion board will open.
3. To create a discussion in this board, click New Discussion at the top of the page.
4. Now enter the title of your new discussion and type a body message. Notice the text editing tools that can help format your message.
5. When you are ready, click Post Discussion. This discussion will now be posted to the board.
6. Once posted, you will return to the discussion page. Students can now view and reply to this discussion from their accounts.
How to Manage Course Discussion Boards
1. A course discussion board can be accessed by clicking on My Courses from the sidebar, then opening the dropdown menu beside the course you want to enter and clicking Discussion Board.
2. This course’s discussion board will open with a list of all current discussions. Shown in this list are the time since that discussion’s last post, and the number of replies.
3. To enter a discussion that has already been created, click on that discussion’s name.
4. Here, using the buttons below the post, you can edit or delete a discussion you have posted.
5. On the side of the page, you will see a list of all users that are participating in this discussion.
6. You can post another new discussion by clicking New Discussion on this page.
7. Replies can be written in the provided text box. Clicking Post Reply will make your reply visible on the discussion page.