Minimum requirements may vary depending on the device and browser being used.
- Desktop/Laptop: Chrome, Firefox or Edge (latest versions)
- Mobile iOS (12.2+): Safari Mobile
- Mobile Android (6.0+): Chrome Mobile
- Note: IE and legacy EDGE browsers are not supported.
Each user should be able to make the following TCP/IP and UDP network connections.
Protocol Port(s) Description
TCP/IP 80 HTTP
TCP/IP 443 HTTPS
UDP 16384-32768 Encrypted WebRTC audio, video, and screen share media stream (DTLS-SRTP)
Note: If a firewall that blocks the UDP connections for the user, it would cause the media connections to "tunnel" through port 443, which, if is also behind a firewall, the user may experience performance issues with sharing and viewing audio/video.
Mobile Device Users
The following settings are recommended for all users connecting to a virtual class from a mobile device:
- For data network, we recommended 4G LTI for best results or minimum 3G Network to use audio, view presentation content, and receive screen sharing.
- For connection via wireless, we recommend private versus public networks.
- For device settings, we recommend reducing device usage while connecting to BigBlueButton; close applications that may run in the background and reduce browsing activities
Additional Recommendations for Moderator/Presenters
Moderators and presenters can join a virtual class using a mobile device, however, use of more bandwidth intensive features such as the screen sharing may be limited.
We recommend Moderators and Presenters connect from a desktop or laptop device whenever possible to ensure all features and functions are accessible to the user.
IMPORTANT: at this time screen sharing is not supported from mobile devices. Presenters who wish to use the screen sharing function should use a laptop, desktop, or Chromebook device.
The following settings are recommended for all users connecting to a virtual class via desktop or laptop device:
- For computer, you need a laptop or desktop computer with (at least) 4G of memory and a 2+ Ghz processor (any computer bought in the last three years should be fine), or any Chromebook with 4G of memory and a 1.5+ Ghz processor.
- For bandwidth, you must have at least 1.0 Mbits/second upstream and 2 Mbits/second downstream. To check bandwidth use, https://speedtest.net/.
- For browsers, we recommend Google Chrome, Mozilla FireFox or Microsoft Edge.
- For audio, we strongly recommend using a headset. A headset will ensure that others can hear your voice clearly and you don’t cause echo or background noise for others. You do not need to buy an expensive one -- any basic headset with a built-in microphone will work.
- A laptop with a built-in webcam and microphone will be sufficient as well if you’re in a quiet area.
Additional recommendations for Moderator/Presenters:
Moderators and Presenters have the same requirements as viewers. For screen sharing, we recommend using FireFox, Chrome or Edge for the best results.
Screen sharing uses more bandwidth than sharing a webcam. To broadcast screen sharing takes about 1 Mbits/sec of upstream bandwidth. Therefor, for the current presenter -- such as when a viewer (student) is made presenter by a moderator -- we recommend the presenter have upstream bandwidth of at least 2 Mbits/sec.
We recommend moderators or presenters connect through a wired network (not wireless) if possible. If connecting from a wireless network that is not reliable, you may experience periodic disconnects or gaps in your audio.